Friday, April 17, 2015

All about jackals by Gracie

All About Jackals

I choose the jackal.  I choose it because I could not do a dog , so I did a jackal.   I did not really know much about the jackal.   All I knew about the jackal is that they are cool.  

Do you know what a jackal looks like?  Well, I will tell you.   Jackals are 30-50 in.tall.  They are 2-75 kg..   They are a mix of these colors: brown, gray, red/orange, and black.  Jackals have long legs to run long distances.  They are active at dawn and dusk.  They are very cunning .  ‘Jackals are very territorial.  They mark and defend their territory.’ says Victor Gentle and Janet Perry.
I guess you guys are dieing to know what jackals eat. Lucky you , you have me tell you.  Jackals are omnivores.  This means they eat both plants and animals.  Jackals are famous scavengers.  That means that if a cheetah or another animal kills something and leaves it, the jackals come and eat the leftovers.
You are probably thinking where the heck do jackals live. Guess what I know where they live.  I guess I could tell you.  The continent they live on is Africa.  The country the live on is Southern Eurasia.  Their habitats are savannas, woodlands, and desserts.  There, you happy now.
A jackal likes to travel in groups.  I do not know why though.Jackals bark, yelp, howl, and screams.  Jackals mate with another jackal then have a family then becomes a group.
A big thing that affects both humans and jackals.  Humans kill jackals.  They want to have their fur for clothes.  We have to stop this terrible thing.
Some very interesting things are: jackals are endangered.  A quote from Victor Gentle and Janet Perry is, ‘The young jackals become ‘helpers’ who feed and protect the new pups.’  Another quote by the same people is,’When they are 12 weeks old , pups get to go on ‘field trips’ to hunt with their parents.’’  Pretty interesting, right?
I learned a lot of things about jackals.  I think they are cool animals.  I learned that jackals are omnivores.  I also learned that jackals like to live and travel in groups.  Thanks for listening. Have a nice day!















No comments:

Post a Comment